On December 10, more than two dozen police officers from Miami Dade County fired 377 rounds into a blue Volve, killing two unarmed men.

The car was wedged between a light pole and a tree. The two men inside survived the first 50 rounds of gunfire from cops according to witnesses who said they could see the men moving inside the vehicle. 

From CBS 4:

Everything went quiet for nearly two minutes before the officers opened up a second time – unleashing an unrelenting torrent of bullets that lasted almost 25 seconds. By the time it was over, the two men inside the car were dead. […] Bullets were sprayed everywhere. They hit the Volvo, other cars in the lot, fence posts and neighboring businesses. They blasted holes in a townhouse where a 12-year-old dove to the ground for cover and a four month old slept in his crib.

“It was like the Wild Wild West, man, crazy,” said Anthony Vandiver, who barely made it through the back door of his home before the gunfire erupted. “Shooting just wild; shooting all over the place. Bullets could have come through the window. Anything could have happened man. They weren’t thinking, they weren’t thinking at all.”

Earlier that night, the driver of the Volvo, Adrian Montesano, robbed a Walgreens at gunpoint, and then later shot Miami Dade Police Officer Saul Rodriguez in a nearby trailer park.

Montesano escaped in the officer’s patrol car eventually dumping it at his grandmother’s house in Hialeah – before fleeing in her blue Volvo.

Read more at CBS 4

Police were looking for the man in the blue Volvo, the one who took the life of one of their own. But what they didn’t know was that Corsini Valdes, who had committed no crime, was also in the car.

Both men inside the vehicle were unarmed at the time police caught up with them. Montesano and Valdes were struck by several bullets, but so were officers caught in the crossfire. One officer was grazed in the head, the other shot in the arm. All of the fire came from police.

The nature of the shooting suggests the officers got caught up in the heat of the moment, failed to listen to their radios or coordinate their actions.


At the time of the shooting, parents were getting their kids ready for school and commuters stood across the street, waiting for the Metrorail.

The shooting is now being reviewed by both the State Attorney’s Office and the Miami Dade Police Department.


Thoughts on this story?

Sound off below!