U.S. Air Force Capt. Nicolas Aquino was tackled, handcuffed and charged with resisting arrest and obstructing a peace officer while at his California home last December.

A neighbor had called 911 and reported seeing a man walking around the house suspiciously. 

From KSBW:

Aquino was at home when a deputy arrived and began treating him like a burglary suspect. […] “All he said was, ‘I need to see your ID.’ At that moment I’m like, ‘Excuse me sir, but who are you? And why are you here?” Aquino told KSBW.

“He says it again, I have to produce identification. At that moment I asked him, ‘Am I being detained?’ He said, ‘Yes,’ and so I said, ‘OK, then my name is Nicolas Aquino. I live right here. I’m in the military,'” Aquino said. Aquino eventually pulled out his wallet to show his military identification card but didn’t hand it over.

According to the deputy’s account in the sheriff’s incident report, “The male then pulled his hand away from me, thereby moving the card away from my hand. I decided at that point I would detain him physically and place him into handcuffs.”

“That’s when he grabs my wrist, puts me in a front guillotine, slams my head into the ground and spins around and does a rear naked choke, so he puts me in a choke hold,” Aquino said.

Read more at KSBW

The incident report written by the deputy states that while sitting on top of Aquino he, “yelled at the male to put his hands out to his sides. The male never complied. He was beginning to draw them in closer to the center of his body. Afraid that the male was going to reach for a weapon, I contemplated disengaging from him, drawing my own firearm and taking aim.”

Aquino said he did not resist because he physical could not move when he was pinned down. After showing the deputy bills with his name and address, he was eventually released. He was never armed with a weapon.

A warrant was issued for his arrest more than seven weeks after the incident. In addition to being an Air Force captain, Aquino attends school at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey.

Thoughts on the incident?

Sound off below!