Boko Haram extremists responsible for the abduction of more than 300 Nigerian schoolgirls attacked residents in Northern Nigeria on Wednesday.

The encounter left 48 people dead, just hours after twin bombings claimed the lives of at least 118 people in the city. 

From Associated Press:

One of the villages attacked between Tuesday night and early Wednesday is near the town of Chibok, where more than 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped last month by Boko Haram, according to residents and a state intelligence agent who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to give information to reporters.

Apagu Maidaga of Alagarno said residents of that village hid in the bush and watched while the extremists set ablaze their homes of thatch-roofed mud huts.

“We saw our village up in flames as we hid in the bush waiting for the dawn; we lost everything,” he told The Associated Press in a telephone call.

Read more at Associated Press

At least 118 were killed in Jos Tuesday at a bus terminal and a market. Most victims were women and children vendors.

The city sits on a volatile fault line that divides Nigeria’s mainly Muslim north from the predominantly Christian south. Boko Haram is pushing for an Islamic state under strict Shariah law in Nigeria, despite half of the country’s 170 million people being Christians.

There’s no word on where the Boko Haram is keeping the missing girls.

Check back for updates.

Sound off below!



(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)