On Monday, it was announced that the city of Cleveland, Ohio will pay a $6 million settlement in response to a lawsuit filed by the relatives of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy shot and killed by a police officer in 2014.
According to the agreement which has yet to be approved by a probate court, the city will pay $3 million this year and $3 million next year in order to settle the lawsuit, which will be paid to Rice’s estate.
“Although historic in financial terms, no amount of money can adequately compensate for the loss of a life,” attorneys for Rice’s family said in a statement. “Tamir was 12 years old when he was shot and killed by police – a young boy with his entire life ahead of him, full of potential and promise. In a situation such as this, there is no such thing as closure or justice. Nothing will bring Tamir back.”
The lawsuit was filed shortly after Cleveland police officer Timothy Loehmann shot Rice in a park while he was playing with a toy gun after the authorities were called. Thus far, Rice’s death has been one of the most high-profile incidents that have created a nationwide dialogue on police brutality, children, and African-Americans.
In December, a grand jury did not bring criminal charges against Loehmann. The prosecutor, Timothy McGinty, who lost a reelection bid last month said that Rice’s death was a tragedy, but “it was not, by the law that binds us, a crime.” The jurors believed that the shooting was justified and never even voted on the question of criminal charges.
This large settlement is the latest in a series of payouts for the families of those killed by police officers, which have sparked protests. New York City agreed to pay $5.9 million to the family of Eric Garner. The city of Baltimore has agreed to pay $6.4 million to the family of Freddie Gray, and the city of North Charleston, South Carolina has paid the family of Walter Scott’s family $6.5 million after the shooting was captured on camera.
(Photo Credit: Angelo Merendino / Getty Images)