Hospital Reverses Decision to Deny Dying 15-Year Old Heart Transplant
On Monday, we told you about Anthony Stokes, a 15-year old denied a heart transplant because of his run-ins with law enforcement and low grades.
Well after a media backlash, the children’s Hospital in Atlanta that denied Stokes have reversed their decision.
Anthony Stokes will now be first in line for the procedure because of the severely weakened state of his heart.
In a watered-down statement released after the reversal the hospital said it was still working with the family. “As we stated previously, a heart transplant evaluation is an ongoing process based on the patient and his or her family’s ability to meet specific transplant criteria.
“While there has been misinformation circulating, Children’s cannot discuss the specifics of this case or any other case due to privacy rules. Our physician experts are continuing to work with this family to establish a care plan and determine the best next steps for the patient.”
The decision comes days after the hospital sent out a letter to the family explaining why Stokes he was not a candidate “due to having a history of non-compliance.
Happy to hear that Anthony Stokes will receive this life-saving procedure?
How was it ever OK for a child to be denied because of their very short past?
Sound off below!