Kartemquin Films offers diversity film fellowship to people of color
Kartemquin Films in collaboration with the Community Film Workshop is offering a series of workshops to minority filmmakers and aspiring storytellers. As part of the Diverse Voices in Docs fellowship, participants will have the chance to grow professionally in the field and network with other filmmakers from Chicago.
The 2014 program will consist of six 2-hour workshops.
Saturdays, 1- 4 PM: Jan 18, Feb 22, March 22, April 19, May 17, June 24.
1. PROJECT DEVELOPMENT. Led by a variety of filmmaking professionals from Kartemquin.
2. STORYTELLING & ETHICS. Led by Artistic Director and Co-Founder Gordon Quinn.
3. FUNDRAISING & FINANCE. Research, prospecting, grantwriting, editing a demo, event planning and crowdfunding, led by Kartemquin Executive Director Justine Nagan.
Project Development Case study – discussion of demos, pitching and film pre-production assessment and planning led by Justine Nagan and Gordon Quinn.
4. DISTRIBUTION & OUTREACH. Led by Director of Communications & Programs Tim Horsburgh.
5. KTQ LABS CRITIQUE & SKILL WORKSHOPS. Hosted at Kartemquin, with the Kartemquin community of filmmakers and special guests invited to critique works-in-progress.
6. FUNDER ROUNTABLE. A panel discussion with a select group of Chicago funders in media arts and documentary distributors about the current industry landscape, documentary support and upcoming deadlines.
Location: All sessions except for the KTQ LABS critique will be hosted at Community Film Workshop, In Residence at the Harris Park, 6200 S. Drexel, Rm 201, Chicago, IL 60637: Phone: (773) 752-9335.
Applicants should have experience/work history as either a producer, writer, director, editor, etc. that demonstrated their commitment to social issue documentary, applicants must be a legal US resident, can not be a full-time student, and be able to commit to attending all 6 classes. An enrollemnt fee of $110 is due upon acceptance into the program. The deadline for all submissions is December 13.