Prince was found dead at his Paisley Park property on April 21. Initial speculation cited a possible drug overdose on prescription medication but there was no confirmation. Following an autopsy, results were still inconclusive and couldn’t directly point to any specific cause of death.
According to the Huffington Post, an official that chose to remain anonymous has now confirmed that Prince died as a result of an opioid overdose. To be specific, the drug used was fentanyl, which is reportedly hundreds of times more potent than heroin.