The water in Fling, Mi. still isn’t safe to drink.
Officials made an announcement on Tuesday to declare that the water’s lead and copper content was below the federal limit. But they also warned that it would take at least a year for the water to be safe enough for them to drink from the tap.
Mayor Karen Weaver says there are plans for 6,000 out of 20,000 of the city’s lead-tainted pipes would be replaced by the end of the year, according to The New York Times.
“The remarkable improvement in water quality over the past year is a testament to all levels of government working together and the resilient people of Flint helping us help them through participation in the flushing programs,” said Rick Snyder, Michigan’s Republic governor. “There is still more work to do in Flint, and I remain committed to helping the residents recover and restore their city.”
Government officials choose to focus on the improvement in Flint while ignoring that it doesn’t mean much given how drastic things once were. This is probably only because many of them were charged with wrongdoing just last month in their role leading up to the water contamination.
Nearly 100,000 residents of Flint don’t have clean water and probably wont anytime soon. That’s the clear takeaway from all this.