Gunmen Open Fire on New Orleans Parade, Injuring 19
Gunmen open fired on a Mother’s Day parade in New Orleans yesterday.
Nineteen people were shot, including 10 men, 3 women, and a little boy and girl. Fortunately, no one was killed.
Investigators say this violence was not terrorism related, but an act of “street violence.”
Mayor Mitch Landrieu urged witnesses to come forward with information during a news conference Sunday night at a hospital where gunshot victims were taken.
“These kinds of incidents will not go unanswered. Somebody knows something. The way to stop this violence is for you all to help,” he said.
As many as 400 people came out for the second-line procession – a boisterous New Orleans tradition – though only half that many were in the immediate vicinity of the shooting, said Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas. Officers were interspersed with the marchers, which is routine for such events.
Police saw three suspects running from the scene. No arrests had been made as of early evening.
Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone impacted by this senseless act of violence.
Thoughts on this story?
Sound off below!