Teen convicted in Steubenville rape case back on school football team
One of two teens convicted in the explosive rape case in Steubenville, Ohio is back on the team.
Ma’lik Richmond practiced with the team Monday as a wide receiver.
“I feel that we’re really not giving him a second chance. Some may look at it like that,” Reno Saccoccia, Steubenville’s head football coach, told Columbus’ Fox 28. “I feel like he’s earned a second chance.”
Richmond and quarterback Trent Mays were convicted in the case involving the rape of a 16-year-old girl at a August 2012 party. Richmond served nine months in a juvenile detention facility before being released in January. Mays is still serving a two-year sentence.
“There’s no law against it that states he can’t play. There’s no OSHA rules that they’d be violating,” Fred Abdalla Jr., Jefferson County’s chief probation officer told WTRF, which broke the story of Richmond’s return.
I think the boy should be allowed to play,” Abdalla Jr. added. “Ma’lik Richmond has done everything that’s been asked of him from the court’s standpoint since he’s been sentenced.”
The case garnered national attention, with school officials being accused of placing Steubenville’s athletics department before the rape victim. The victim, was humiliated after finding out she had been drugged, raped and videotaped online.
Richmond will have to register as a Tier II sex offender every 180 days for the next 20 years. He was also found delinquent of rape.
According to the Ohio High School Athletic Association, decisions about player eligibility are left up to schools.
Thoughts on Richmond being added back to the team?
Is it a slap in the face to victims of sexual assault?
Sound off below!