Florida State University quarterback and Heisman Trophy front-runner Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexual battery due to lack of evidence. Last year, a woman filed a complaint against Winston, claiming that he sexually assaulted her.
The woman said that Tallahassee police had discouraged her from filing charges, given the “football town” that Tallahassee is.
Winston had faced felony charges after being accused of sexually assaulting the woman at an off-campus apartment on Dec. 7, 2012.
Last month, ESPN.com reported that DNA found in the woman’s underwear matched Winston’s DNA. His attorney, Tim Jansen of Tallahassee, said Winston had consensual sex with the woman. But the woman’s attorney, Patricia Carroll of Tampa, Fla., said the star quarterback raped her 19-year-old client, a former FSU student, who withdrew from classes after the allegations resurfaced in media reports last month.
Thursday’s ruling clears the path for the quarterback to finish the season with the No. 1 Seminoles. FSU Coach Jimbo Fisher is expected to address the media after the Seminoles’ practice of Thursday, but Winston will likely not speak.
Thoughts on the case?
Sound off below.