Justice for Jordan Davis: Michael Dunn’s sentencing delayed, will not be tried on attempted murder convictions
Michael Dunn will not get a new trial for attempted murder convictions faced in connection to the death of Jordan Davis. He is facing a possible retrial on the first-degree murder charge.
If re-tried, Dunn will have a new attorney representing him.
A jury convicted Dunn, 47, last month on four charges related to the November 2012 death of Jordan Davis, 17. Jurors did not reach a verdict on one count of first-degree murder.
On Friday, Judge Russell Healey denied a motion from Dunn’s current defense attorney, Cory Strolla, for a new trial on the four charges including three-counts of attempted second degree murder.
Strolla said Monday he will not be representing Dunn in a re-trial. The Florida Times-Union reports Strolla is leaving because Dunn is broke and can no longer pay him.
Strolla filed a motion to delay Dunn’s sentencing on the guilty verdicts, but the motion is on hold until another hearing on Friday. It is unclear who will represent Dunn in the future.
Dunn was convicted of three counts of attempted murder and one count on firing a missile into a vehicle in November 2012. As a result, 17-year-old Jordan Davis died after Dunn fired 10 shots at his SUV.
Dunn claimed self-defense, and said that he “feared for his life” after Davis made verbal threats. He faces at least 60 years in prison.
Check back for updates.
Sound off below!