Update: Donald Sterling says no to deal to sell Clippers, lawsuit back on
Last week, we reported that Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling agreed to sell his team amid a scandal that revealed his racist ideologies.
But apparently he has changed his mind.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has pulled his support from a deal to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will pursue his $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA, his attorney said Monday. “We have been instructed to prosecute the lawsuit,” said attorney Maxwell Blecher. He said co-owner Donald Sterling would not be signing off on the deal to sell.
Donald Sterling issued a one-page statement dated Monday titled “The Team is not for Sale” and said that “from the onset, I did not want to sell the Los Angeles Clippers.” The $2 billion sale was negotiated by his wife Shelly Sterling after Donald Sterling’s racist remarks to a girlfriend were publicized and the NBA moved to oust him as owner.
Sterling’s lawsuit accuses the league of violating his constitutional rights by relying on information that was captured “illegally.” It also said the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling $2.5 million and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.
Shelly Sterling and her attorney declined to comment.
Thoughts on Sterling’s sudden change of heart regarding his team?
Sound off below!