19 year-old Akein Scott has been arrested in connection with the Mother’s Day Parade shooting in New Orleans that left 19 people injured, including 2 children.
Scott will reportedly face 20 charges of attempted second degree murder.
He was found in the Little Woods section of New Orleans on Wednesday night.
It was not immediately clear why 20 counts were filed when authorities have said 19 people were injured. Police were expected to release more details on the case Thursday.
In the neighborhood where the gunfire shattered the festive parade known as a second line, residents awoke Thursday to the news that the manhunt apparently had ended. Police had been searching for Scott since identifying him as a suspect Monday from surveillance video.
Courtney Moles, whose apartment overlooks the shooting site, said she didn’t feel her safety was in jeopardy while police searched the city.
“I didn’t really think he would come back. It’s more personal than that,” she said. “He wasn’t going to that second line to make national news. He was probably settling some kind of score.”
Moles, 24, said the arrest underscores the city’s crisis of violence among its young people. “His life is over now, too,” she said of Scott.
Thoughts on the New Orleans Mother’s Day shooting?
Sound off below!